Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Random Tips and Tricks # 2

The Amazing Lemon!

Photo from: www.adimagephotos.com
There are so many uses for lemons that I would like to share but for now we'll focus on one you might not have heard about: effortlessly cleaning your microwave.

Whenever I use lemon zest or lemon juice in a recipe, I always end up with a peel or a few small slices left over. I usually toss them in my sink to send them down the garbage disposal after I've done the dishes for that day but I try to squeeze one more use out of it first.

I use my lemon peel to clean the microwave. This method is so easy you can set it up during a commercial break, let it run, and then finish during the next commercial! How's that for a quick clean up?

All you need is a small microwave safe bowl, some water, your lemon, and a few paper towels or a clean rag.

  • Squeeze as much juice as you can out of the lemon into the microwave safe bowl.
  • Add the peel and 1/3rd to 1/2 a cup of plain water. 
  • Microwave on high for about 3 minutes. (the first time you do this, please watch to make sure it doesn't burn as microwaves all heat differently!)
  • Watch the next segment of your TV show or finish whatever awesome thing you're working on while the liquid bubbles and boils filling your microwave with lemony steam.
  • After a few minutes of resting, simply wipe out your microwave. The steam will have done all the hard work for you! 
  • Carefully dump the lemon/liquid in your sink to send down the disposal later. 
Three uses out of one humble lemon! I will share more as we go along but in the mean time, I would love you to comment with your favorite uses for this versatile fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment