|Photo from: www.adimagephotos.com|
Whenever I use lemon zest or lemon juice in a recipe, I always end up with a peel or a few small slices left over. I usually toss them in my sink to send them down the garbage disposal after I've done the dishes for that day but I try to squeeze one more use out of it first.
I use my lemon peel to clean the microwave. This method is so easy you can set it up during a commercial break, let it run, and then finish during the next commercial! How's that for a quick clean up?
All you need is a small microwave safe bowl, some water, your lemon, and a few paper towels or a clean rag.
- Squeeze as much juice as you can out of the lemon into the microwave safe bowl.
- Add the peel and 1/3rd to 1/2 a cup of plain water.
- Microwave on high for about 3 minutes. (the first time you do this, please watch to make sure it doesn't burn as microwaves all heat differently!)
- Watch the next segment of your TV show or finish whatever awesome thing you're working on while the liquid bubbles and boils filling your microwave with lemony steam.
- After a few minutes of resting, simply wipe out your microwave. The steam will have done all the hard work for you!
- Carefully dump the lemon/liquid in your sink to send down the disposal later.
Three uses out of one humble lemon! I will share more as we go along but in the mean time, I would love you to comment with your favorite uses for this versatile fruit.